[Dundi] GPA e164 Peering requested

Joe Abley jabley at automagic.org
Sun Nov 21 10:26:39 CST 2004

On 21 Nov 2004, at 11:10, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Joe Abley wrote:
>
>> Maybe I misunderstood the earlier thread on this, but isn't it the
>> case that the decision of who you peer with depends on the e.164
>> routes you are terminating (i.e. you peer with people who can
>> terminate similar-looking numbers), and that "tier 1" and "tier 2"
>> don't actually mean anything?
>
> Sure, but what does "similar" mean in the +1 country code? If there is
> no one currently handling routes for +1602, does that mean I should
> peer with someone handling +1? Is anyone even going to do that?

Based on what Mark has said before, it helps the protocol function
efficiently if you peer with people whose numbers are similar to your
own. So, it might be more efficient to hook +1602 termination into the
system by peering with someone who is offering +1613 than someone else
who is offering +1212.

Joe