[Asterisk-video] hot to know a mobile device supports video call when trying to do outbound 3g video call

Konstantinos Liadakis kliadakis at yuboto.com
Tue Sep 13 08:09:32 CDT 2011

Again this thread is dead although i feel a proper reply is not given yet.

In most cases, a call will hangup if it is sent to a non video capable
device.

There are 2  cases where mobile device is not video capable, and has got
voicemail enabled, and is also in an area with no 3g coverage, or device
is not video capable, has got voicemail enabled and is switched off.

 From my experience and tests, i have found that the call will be
answered in the same way as a video capable device would do, and the
dialplan proceeds exactly as if the video is played on the recipient. In
this case the sender would think that the video was correctly displayed
on recipients device, but in fact it isn't.

Sergio's earlier reply to this thread was:"Quick answer, the only way to
know if someone supports 3G video call is making a call." This is true
for most cases except from the ones describe above.

Also Borja from i6net said: "If you tag the video correctly (signaling
marks), the non capable phone shoudn't ring and not be able get the call
(the call is rejected or transferred to an operator service)." How do we
handle this if the call is diverted to an operator service,in my case
cellphone voicemail.

If there was a way to know that call has been diverted to voicemail,
then it could hangup, and not leave the disturbing buzzing voicemail.

No matter what i have tried, i cannot distinguish a successful video
transmission over 3g from an unsuccessful divert to voicemail when a
device is not video capable.

I hope that someone can help on this, as i cannot think of anything else
to try

Best regards

Dinos