[Asterisk-video] CPU Utilization of H.264 Conference with MCU

Kiran N nkirankurup at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 07:21:02 CDT 2011

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for the quick response. I was able to reduce the CPU utilization to
6% (when only one participant is present in the conference) by performing the following
1. Re-compile the x264 module with yasm support.
2. Changed to QCIF format
3. FPS is reduced to 10.

The reason for why I am sticking to H.264 is that, I am testing the application
with both Eyebeam and SIP Communicator. For some reason, SIP Communicator is
not able to understand the H.263-1998 format from the MCU and thus nothing is shown
on the
 screen.

I may be wrong, I had a peek into the code and thus came to know that
a VideoEncoder object is made for each participant and thus when there are 2 participants
the CPU usage is 12% (6 + 6) and when its 3 participants the usage is 18%.
This might be a stupid question, but it came to my mind
Isn't it possible for us to have a single VideoEncoder per conference?

Thanks and Regards,
Kiran