[Asterisk-video] upcoming enhanced video feature support?

Rob Rothberg rrothberg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 07:29:32 CDT 2010

I'm wondering if anyone here would be able to comment on a roadmap for
upcoming support for video features to be included in the standard codebase
(ie,  not a separate SVN test branch that needs to be pulled down and
compiled that very few have used).  I've been using Asterisk for probably 6
years now in its various flavors and recently I've been running across more
and more requests related to video support, especially H.264 (yes I'm aware
of the issues around licensing, hopefully something can be done in the same
way g.729 was handled).  I don't even necessarily need transcoding (yet),
but I am having extreme difficulty in getting the following to work:

H.264 calls from outside of Asterisk from Tandberg and Polycom phones to
those same endpoints (and Mirial) on an Asterisk box.  Passthru should work
but it's not doing so in a repeatable, reliable fashion.
IVVR
recording outgoing voice/videomail recordings from an endpoint (and of
course playback)
leaving incoming H264 based voice/video messages (that can be played back on
endpoints and via a web UI)

I've unfortunately had to tell my bosses that these sorts of features aren't
ready for prime time.  Is anybody here able to comment if these sorts of
features will be forthcoming?  I appreciate all the hard work that has gone
into this product over the years.

Thanks, Rob