[Asterisk-video] app transcoder

anandadip mandal anandadip at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 22:48:25 CST 2009

Hi Sergio
Thanks for the reply. app transcoder only supports h263p. I have a small
doubt; please correct me if I am wrong.
Consider the following use case:

Xlite is configured with h263-1996
Linphone is configured with h263p.
Xlite is placing call to linphone.
So ; the codec between xlite and asterisk is h263-1996; and between asterisk
and linphone is h263p.
App transcoder will convert incoming h263-1996 packets into h263p.So i can
expect xlite will be able to send video to linphone.
Now my confusion is :
Will app transcoder also convert incoming h263 packets from linphone to
h263-1996?
Othewise it is not possible to send video from linphone to xlite.

Since app transcoder supports h263p; if i keep codecs in both the phones
h263p; video will appear in both the phone. But then. i do not really need
app transcoder; asterisk is capable of doing it without app transcoder.
It seems app_transcoder only supports oneway video; Because if we use
transcoding between h263p and other codecs ( say mpeg/h263/h261);
app_transcoder will be able to encode other codecs to h263p but it will not
be able to do the opposite; and we will only see one way video.

By the way ; what are the codecs are supported by libavcodec and asterisk?
I am interested in :
h261
h263
h263p