[Asterisk-video] Can the current Asterisk w/ video meet our needs?

Jamie Clark jamie at datakids.org
Tue May 26 16:19:38 CDT 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Emmanuel BUU wrote:

> Disclamer: our company is operating a video call center for a French VRS
> / VRI operator (Websourd).
> We have a dedicated product line for VRS /VRI based on Asterisk.

Nice!  It might be something that we are looking for...

> Jamie Clark a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We are looking for ACD/PBX solution that will meet our needs.
>>
>> We have two groups of callers:
>>
>> 1)  ==> A group of deaf callers using H.323 videophone (95% or so of the
>> installed base) and SIP videophone.  H.263 is the default video codec.
>>
> Hello,
>
> Asterisk chan H.323 does not support  video calls. It could be added or
> you need to have some H323 to SIP gateway.

What is recommended H323 to SIP gateway?  Is that only for call signaling
only?  What about RTP?  Is media (i.e. voice/video codecs) done at
endpoints only? (i.e. not having to go through the gateway which will
surely overload the server with some number of ongoing sessions.)

>> 2)  ==> A group of hearing callers using voice only phones (cell phones,
>> PSTN phones, VOIP softphones).
>>
>> We have a call center where relay agents take incoming video call from
>> deaf callers and then dial out to hearing callers using voice call and
>> vice versa.
>>
>> The relay agent does the translation from ASL signing into spoken word and
>> vice versa.

> Yes with some tricky dialaplan and a modified version of app_confernce.

Nice, as long it works :)  We also like to set up conf call time to time.
(Both voice and video).

>> The call center will need to have ACD setup so either incoming video/voice
>> calls will be routed to available relay agent.  If there is no available
>> relay agent then display the video saying "Waiting for next available
>> relay agent" (for deaf callers) and recorded message saying "Waiting
>> for..." for hearing callers.

> Yes

Great!

>> The deaf callers will use their H.323 based videophone to make calls to
>> call center using IP address i.e.  md.callcenter.com.
>>
>> We will have several call centers set up around the country, i.e. in MD,
>> PA, VA, IN, NY etc...  If deaf video caller dial callcenter.com (only an
>> example), the ACD will route the call to first available relay agent
>> anywhere in USA.  If deaf video caller dial va.callcenter.com then the ACD
>> will attempt to route to first available relay agents in VA call center,
>> if none exist then route to next group of agents in MD and so on.

> Yes. One can define a cascade of queue

Learning some new words as I am new to telephony system :)

>> Other key needs of the system are:
>>
>> 1) Detailed call logging stats/reporting for both video/voice calls,
>> reporting for specific relay agent, call center supervisors and national
>> manager.

> Yes using an external reporting app.

Nice as I am sure all of the data is being stored in database such
as MySQL.

>> 2) Relay agent should be able to transfer both voice and video call to
>> other available relay agent (for many reasons such as needing a break,
>> other agent can do better service for that call, etc...) anytime.
>>
>> I would guess the relay agent's station will have two softphones, one for
>> voice only and other one for video running on a single PC. I would assume
>> each PC will need to have two IP address: One IP for voice softphone and
>> other IP address for video softphone or use one IP address but use
>> different call signaling ports (i.e. 1720 and 1721 for H.323).

> No, We have a solution where the agent has a sigle workstation and our
> server do the audio / video mixing on the three legs.

Hmm, interesting...  as long it works, fine with us :)

>> Can the current Asterisk system meet all of the above needs?
>>

> Definitly, but not the "official" version. We have a modified one. The
> only issue with your project is handling H.323. But again, H.323 video
> support can be added.

So the SIP video is fully supported right now and only thing needs to
be added is H.323 video which seems not a big deal, correct?

>> Do I need anything else to make it happen?
>>
>> Is there any good company that can help us set up this system?
>>
> Yes us...

Great, we ll be in touch with you.

Many thanks

 	Jamie