[Asterisk-video] Can the current Asterisk w/ video meet our needs?

Jamie Clark jamie at datakids.org
Tue May 26 15:15:41 CDT 2009

Hi all,

We are looking for ACD/PBX solution that will meet our needs.

We have two groups of callers:

1)  ==> A group of deaf callers using H.323 videophone (95% or so of the
installed base) and SIP videophone.  H.263 is the default video codec.

2)  ==> A group of hearing callers using voice only phones (cell phones,
PSTN phones, VOIP softphones).

We have a call center where relay agents take incoming video call from
deaf callers and then dial out to hearing callers using voice call and
vice versa.

The relay agent does the translation from ASL signing into spoken word and
vice versa.

The call center will need to have ACD setup so either incoming video/voice
calls will be routed to available relay agent.  If there is no available
relay agent then display the video saying "Waiting for next available
relay agent" (for deaf callers) and recorded message saying "Waiting
for..." for hearing callers.

The deaf callers will use their H.323 based videophone to make calls to
call center using IP address i.e.  md.callcenter.com.

We will have several call centers set up around the country, i.e. in MD,
PA, VA, IN, NY etc...  If deaf video caller dial callcenter.com (only an
example), the ACD will route the call to first available relay agent
anywhere in USA.  If deaf video caller dial va.callcenter.com then the ACD
will attempt to route to first available relay agents in VA call center,
if none exist then route to next group of agents in MD and so on.

Other key needs of the system are:

1) Detailed call logging stats/reporting for both video/voice calls,
reporting for specific relay agent, call center supervisors and national
manager.

2) Relay agent should be able to transfer both voice and video call to
other available relay agent (for many reasons such as needing a break,
other agent can do better service for that call, etc...) anytime.

I would guess the relay agent's station will have two softphones, one for
voice only and other one for video running on a single PC. I would assume
each PC will need to have two IP address: One IP for voice softphone and
other IP address for video softphone or use one IP address but use
different call signaling ports (i.e. 1720 and 1721 for H.323).

Can the current Asterisk system meet all of the above needs?

Do I need anything else to make it happen?

Is there any good company that can help us set up this system?

Many thanks!

 	Jamie