[Asterisk-video] H.264 video calling, conferencing and video playback within Asterisk

Nigel Dallard NigelD at adi-uk.com
Tue May 19 05:19:06 CDT 2009

Hi there,

I'm looking for a solution for a fully-featured video-enabled video
telephony and information provision system. I need to be able to have:
- one-to-one video calls between client end-points
- a queueing system for a "helpdesk/reception", with the ability for
  the receptionist to place video calls on hold for pick-up by
  consultants
- the ability to have multi-way video conferences
- the ability for callers to be connected to a menu-driven "video on
  demand" system, with at least basic pause/play/fast-forward/rewind
  control of the video playback

The client devices use H.264 video encoding and G.711/Speex audio
coding.

Is this something that Asterisk would be able to provide? I've been
reading web-sites, wikis and forums, and playing around with a trial
installation for over a week now but get the feeling that this is, at
the very least, at the cutting edge of what Asterisk can do, or possibly
beyond its current capabilities. Neither myself nor anyone else working
on this project has anything more than very basic programming skills,
but do have much knowledge and experience of compiling, installing and
configuring open-source software. Am I wasting my time, or should I
continue to persevere? If the latter, could anyone provide me some
pointers?

Thanks in advance,

Nigel

Nigel Dallard