[Asterisk-video] capability translation from h245 to SIP

Dan Julius dan.julius at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 02:21:01 CDT 2008

Hi,

I'm experiencing some issues when using Asterisk as a gateway between 3G and
SIP clients.
I'm trying to complete a call using h263p as the video codec on the sip
client in order to avoid  video transcoding.
For audio I'm using AMR on the 3G side and g711 on the SIP side since most
SIP clients don't support AMR out of the box.

For some phones this works without a problem while other phones don't seem
to show video depending on the SIP client.
For example: N73 works with X-Lite, but not with OpenPhone. N95 works with
both.
I've traced this down to an issue with the capability exchange, specifically
how capabilities are translated from h245 to SIP.

Can someone point to which part of the code, Asterisk or libh324M does the
mapping between capabilities?
After reviewing some relevant RFCs and specs, it is not clear to me what the
1:1 mapping should be - is there any relevant documentation?

Thanks,
Dan