[Asterisk-video] Video Conferencing Solutions

Mihai Balea mihai at hates.ms
Mon Nov 10 16:30:16 CST 2008

On Nov 10, 2008, at 3:54 PM, Nathan Baker wrote:

> - app_conference
>
> This is the only one I've been able to get more than two videos
> going on so far.  It seems pretty basic, and as soon as I start
> using DTMF to switch videos, it stops working right.  I usually end
> up getting distorted video, which looks like it's trying to mix the
> video and show two people in one stream (which I thought
> app_conference wouldn't do).  When everyone hangs up after this
> happens, the module won't exit properly, and I have to manually kill
> asterisk and start it up again.

Hi Nathan,

Speaking as one of the people who worked on adding video support to
appconference, the problem you encounter is not typical. Appconference
does not mix video in any way, it just switches video streams
according to various criteria.   My guess would be that your video
streams don't have key frames at short enough intervals, so you're
basically getting p-frames from the new stream, while your endpoint
still thinks it is decoding the old stream.

Anyways, appconference is very much alive, even though there were no
significant developments in the past 8 months or so. It is used in
several production environments, one of which I use on a daily basis.

I would suggest that you forward any appconference-specific questions,
concerns, etc to the appconference dev list at appconference-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
. We're always interested in hearing about bad (and good) experiences
with the software

Cheers,
Mihai