[Asterisk-video] App_videoswitch

Mihai Balea mihai at hates.ms
Mon Jun 4 12:50:09 MST 2007

On Jun 4, 2007, at 2:05 PM, Charles Williams wrote:

> [...]

On technical terms, H.264 is significantly better than Theora.  The
quality is slightly better at the same bandwidth, but what really
makes it a better choice is the fact that it was designed with
streaming in mind. On the other hand, the licensing proved to be a
pain, which is why we decided to go with Theora.

We did a bunch of changes to Asterisk in order to get this working.
We first added Theora to the list of accepted codecs.  Then we
changed the way codec selection works, so we could get some
rudimentary video codec negotiation going in IAX2.  That part is not
very polished and I don't think it is worth submitting upstream,
since IAX video codec negotiation is going to get a lot better in the
following months (as a result of the discussions we had at Astridevcon).

Mihai