[Asterisk-video] recording video

Sergio Garcia sergio.garcia at fontventa.com
Thu Aug 30 03:36:46 CDT 2007

From: Olle E Johansson <oej at edvina.net>
Date:  Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:11:48 +0200

>>> I did not know that Ogg is a container format, that may be a good
>>> way.
>>> Any other video containers?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container_format_%28digital%29
>> also
>> ffmpeg -formats
>> ;)
>>
>> The most promising (appart of mp4/3gp) seems matroska (GPL) and ogg
>> (BSD-like license for sdk libraries)
>
>Matroska libraries are LGPL, which is a huge difference from Asterisk
>point of view.
>
>After reading the web page you referred to above, seems like OGM, ogg
>media, is a hack that should be
>avoided and Matroska is the way forward. I would love to see this
>format in Asterisk, especially since we
>can save some metadata about the media in the file, maybe also a
>digital signature with a time stamp.

I've read the same from ogm, but in the ogg it states also the following:

*The Ogg container format
Ogg is a multimedia container format, and the native file and stream format for the Xiph.org multimedia codecs. As with all Xiph.org technology is it an open format free for anyone to use.
As with most container formats it encapsulates raw compressed data and allows the interleaving of audio and video data inside a single convient format. Other examples of container formats are Quicktime .mov, the MPEG program stream, and AVI.

So probably is a good thing to investigate also to see which of the two formats are the best ones.

I also think it's definetively the way to go (althought it may be the end of my app_mp4 :(

BR