[Asterisk-video] recording video

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Aug 30 03:11:48 CDT 2007

>>> Perhaps looking at some other free containers (like ogg) should be
>>> a good idea, althougth
>>> the number of tools available shouldn't be so wide..
>>>
>> I did not know that Ogg is a container format, that may be a good
>> way.
>> Any other video containers?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container_format_%28digital%29
> also
> ffmpeg -formats
> ;)
>
> The most promising (appart of mp4/3gp) seems matroska (GPL) and ogg
> (BSD-like license for sdk libraries)

Matroska libraries are LGPL, which is a huge difference from Asterisk
point of view.

After reading the web page you referred to above, seems like OGM, ogg
media, is a hack that should be
avoided and Matroska is the way forward. I would love to see this
format in Asterisk, especially since we
can save some metadata about the media in the file, maybe also a
digital signature with a time stamp.

/O