[Iaxclient-devel] [Asterisk-video] Re: Re: Video codec negotiation in IAX

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Wed Oct 25 08:04:35 MST 2006

On Oct 25, 2006, at 10:44 AM, Mihai Balea wrote:

> The main reason for this is that RTP packets carry media type
> information in the header.
> In IAX, we'll probably have to use a full frame for this (mini frames
> have only minimal information in their 4-byte headers).
> It would be doable, but it will probably require some changes in the
> way codecs are negotiated.
> Something to think about....

That's the way IAX works now for audio -- a full frame is sent
explicitly if the codec changes..

 From iax.c in libiax2, for example:
       if (((fts & 0xFFFF0000L) == (lastsent & 0xFFFF0000L))
                 /* High two bits are the same on timestamp, or
sending on a trunk */ &&
             (f->frametype == AST_FRAME_VOICE)
                 /* is a voice frame */ &&
                 (f->subclass == pvt->svoiceformat)
                 /* is the same type */ ) {
                         /* Force immediate rather than delayed
transmission */
                         now = 1;
                         /* Mark that mini-style frame is appropriate */
                         sendmini = 1;
         }

sendmini is only set on all these conditions, one of which is that
the format is the same.

-SteveK