[Asterisk-video] RE: AVTF - What's going on?

Neil Stratford neils at vipadia.com
Wed May 17 01:57:53 MST 2006

Hi everyone,

It's great to see so much activity around video.

Here are some projects that we've been working on:

- Videoswitch: (thanks to support from AuPix)
A multi-party video conference module based on app_conference. Each
participant gets to see a single video stream at a time, which can be
switched using either DTMF input from the user or Manager interface
commands. You can use it for things like video conferencing, distance
learning and video broadcast. There is usually a test version running at
400 at sip.vipadia.com if you would like to play with it. We'll be making
the code available soon.

- Fast Updates / RTCP / etc etc:
Various patches for fast updates and tweaks to RTCP for different
Asterisk versions.

- GStreamer & Asterisk:
Modules for GStreamer (www.gstreamer.net) which allow it to generate
Asterisk format h263 files. With a GStreamer command line you can
convert video files from other formats into h263 and wav files for
playback using Asterisk. I believe that the modules are now maintained
in the GStreamer CVS.

Other stuff:

I've volunteered to talk about Asterisk and Video at the London
Astricon. I'm intending to talk about what you can do today (what works)
and what is missing (or broken), both at a high level and the technical
details.

Neil