[asterisk-video] How do you send large frames?

Duane Storey duane at counterpath.com
Tue May 16 14:24:28 MST 2006

Hi,

Video frames are typically split into smaller chunks via fragmentation of
the video data itself.  For example, H.263 has two packetization modes (RFC
2190 and RFC 2429).  In these RFCs, it describes how you can split one frame
into multiple UDP packets.  H.264 is a little nicer since it was written
with networks in mind -- each H.264 "chunk" is called a NAL (network
abstraction layer) unit.   Encoders can output small NALs directly and keep
the packet less than MTU.

Duane