[Asterisk-video] libavcodec integration? (was Integrating mpeg4 video codec in asterisk)

SteveK stevek at stevek.com
Wed Jun 14 07:51:38 MST 2006

On Jun 14, 2006, at 10:15 AM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> hi
>
> is there a licence problem with integrating libavcodec (http://
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libavcodec) into asterisk? This is licensed
> under LGPL so AFAICS it should be compatible with the asterisk
> system. this'll allow us to transcode video between lots of formats
> and codecs :)

The issues are:

1) not all of it is LGPL;  some of it is GPL, including many of the
most interesting parts (x264, for example).
2) Patents:  You can't actually use most of it because of patent
issues, and because of the GPL/LGPL patent clauses, you can't
distribute the code along with a Patent License unless you License
all potential users of the code.

So, I'm guessing you'd see the same resistance to that that you have
with the Intel voice codec implementations.

-SteveK