[Asterisk-video] vdo conf

John Martin John.Martin at AuPix.com
Mon Jul 3 05:21:38 MST 2006

Hi Guys,
  Video conferencing systems have long since allowed for lots of
different ways of splicing and dicing the video being sent to the
endpoints:
 - de-centralised MCUs (where the function is distributed audio video is
sent to all participants)
 - centralised MCUs (where the MCU mixes the audio and video)

In the centralised scenario, the MCU would typically (at least these
days) allow each participant to select the video layout they would see.
So you might have 1/4 of the screen with the person speaking and 12
other participants each 16th of the screen. Or any combination of 1/2,
1/3, etc proportions of the video laid out in front of you.

Voice switching of the video has been around for a while but can make
you feel ill if there's a heated debate going on (lots of switching of
video sources) :-)

The likes of Polycom, Tandberg, VCON, RadVision etc have been offering
all of these solutions for many years. The trick is to supply
flexibility in the thing that is doing the mixing so that the
administrator and/or the user can chose for themselves. Then you need a
fancy IVR system, like Codian's, to allow a user to switch between their
favourite layouts.
  Also, don't forget that if you're sending lots of streams to one
endpoint then:
a) the bandwidth is n times bigger
b) you've gotta decode n lots of video.

John