[Asterisk-video] vdo conf

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Jul 3 04:08:54 MST 2006

Paul Cadach wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
>
> Andrey Kouprianov wrote:
>
>>Yes, it's video conferencing. Just like the meetme conferencing. The
>>only problem is that everyone says that you have to allow vdo codecs
>>in sip.conf first, but, feature page in asterisk.org does not list any
>>vdo codec support and guys on forum there kind of discourage usage of
>>vdo conferencing uptil now. So I assume that vdo conferencing is not a
>>fully blown feature in Asterisk yet.
>

> To perform videoconferencing Asterisk needs to have video-transconding
> functionality (i.e. meetme/other sort of conferencing software) should _decode_
> video streams coming from conference participants, merge them into signle
> "screen" then _encode_ it back with codecs supported by conference parties. In
> current state video transcoding functionality isn't supported by Asterisk.
>
> Also, video conferencing have some sort of video-audio synchronization issues
> which isn't handled in current Asterisk's design.
>

> Shortly:
> 1) There is no video codecs;
> 2) There is no audio-video sychnronization.

provided everyone use the same codec, there is another solution which
only shows the talker's incoming video stream, i.e. do not mix video,
only audio. There has to be some delay though, so the videostream
does not jump around all the time as someone coughs...

Some people on this mailing list are working on it and we're discussing
how to make it into a contribution for Asterisk 1.6.

/O