[Asterisk-video] pipes of peace?

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Fri Aug 25 03:45:38 MST 2006

> yes, it could be done with libavcodec or ffmpeg the same way we use
> lame for playing MP3. However, it's not that easy because decoding
> and reencoding a video takes a lot of cpu load. and for the music
> on hold, the same MP3 is played once for everybody on hold. So
> pretending that asterisk could videotranscode using FFMPEG is true,
> but on the same machine, how many people could have a transcoded
> video simultaneously ?

Not too many, really, but it's like with audio codecs, transcoding
makes it all flexible.

> Your idea could be kept for a VideoOnHold for example, where ffmpeg
> would play the same video (advertisement) for all the people on hold.

it should be possible to use it there too, porn on hold!, but not
only that. IMHO a system without transcoding support isn't really
optimal.

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
roy at karlsbakk.net
(+47) 98013356
---
In space, loud sounds, like explosions, are even louder because there
is no air to get in the way.