[asterisk-users] Local calls not possible when Internet connection down

Marek Greško marek.gresko at protonmail.com
Tue Nov 7 09:19:48 CST 2023

Hello,

well I do not ask those who only guess, but those who know what is asterisk expected to do when internet connectivity goes down. I did not had a chance to make internet not to work yet, since it is needed. But inspecting dns logs I found out that there started to be resolving for _sip._tcp and _sip._udp records for the provider's server. So apparently making hosts record make asterisk happy when everything works, but when there is a communication problem then it falls back to searching for srv records. At least it seems to be so for now. Moreover I found out this old thread:

https://community.freepbx.org/t/asterisk-become-mad-when-a-dns-problem-occur/4755/10

So the problem seems to be still present. So if asterisk is not able to resolve using it's dns resolver it breaks also local communication which is complete non-sense.

I am thinking of two possible workarounds:

1. If thre is a possibility to convince asterisk not to fallback to searching for srv records, it would be ideal. Is somebody aware of such options in pjsip?

2. If the first workaround is not feasible I can create rpz records for provider's A and SRV records.

When I will be able to shutdown internet or at least outbound DNS, I will try to make sure my findings are correct using tcpdump.

Thanks

Marek

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.