[asterisk-users] Setting codec on originating (calling) channel with chan_pjsip (SIP_CODEC_INBOUND equivalent)

Michael Ulitskiy mulitskiy at acedsl.com
Wed Jul 5 15:19:44 CDT 2023

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply.

I was referring to the scenario you named as 'outbound broken'. I didn't
get to look at inbound call behavior yet, as I got stuck with inability
to avoid transcoding on outbound calls.

To be more specific the scenario is as follows:

1. a phone initiates a call offering g722,g711 to asterisk
2. asterisk creates outbound call to carrier offering g711 only (carrier
only supports g711)
3. carrier accepts the call and outbound call leg is now running on g711
4. asterisk accepts a phone's call with g722 since it's allowed on
phone's endpoint and was indicated as preferred in phone's INVITE and
now initial call leg is running on g722, resulting in transcoding

This is very disappointing. Since developers announced their plans to
drop chan_sip from future asterisk versions I was under impression that
chan_pjsip has reached feature paritiy with chan_sip. What is needed is
an ability to tell asterisk which codecs are allowed to be included in
"200 OK" asterisk sends back to the phone. I guess we need to submit a
feature request. How do we go about it these days?

Thanks,
Michael