[asterisk-users] Question on resources

Mark Murawski markm-lists at intellasoft.net
Mon Sep 5 08:16:12 CDT 2022

On 8/4/22 20:32, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am running Asterisk 13.30.0
> 40 core CPU (VM) VMware.
> CentOS 7
> 32 G ram
> 10G vmx network
>
> Should be plenty of room for anything...
>
> Yes asterisk is running 270% CPU...
> Is it not taking advantage of the 40 cores ?
> I am bring around 300 SIP endpoints in a muted audio conference (so
> one way) and this spikes up the CPU to 270%.
>
> Is there something I dont have set right to take advantage to
> the resourses?
> Thanks
>
> Jerry

Hi Jerry,

If I recall correctly, there was a talk at an AstriCon or a web page
somewhere that I came across at one point (I'm having a hard time
finding it now) that dove in fairly deep into Asterisk performance
related to multiple cores.

And if I recall correctly, the conclusion was that the drop-off was
around 8-12 cores -- and beyond that the extra cores aren't doing much
other than helping schedule work and you can't really get more
concurrent calls by adding more cores.

Someone who is a bit more well-versed in large-machine performance with
Asterisk can certainly chime in here, but from what I gather, throwing
40 cores at a single Asterisk instance is not the magic bullet to
support a massive number of calls.