[asterisk-users] Force voicemail check / MWI generation

Nick Olsen nick at 141networks.com
Fri Nov 18 07:52:44 CST 2022

Hello,

I've got a handful of servers running asterisk 16 currently with voicemail
stored in a database via ODBC.

Some users register to multiple servers and I'm having an issue with MWI.

Specifically Polycom phones seem to not be able to use two different MWI
sources. So in my immediate instance, a voicemail is left on the primary
server. The primary server generates the requisite notify and properly sets
the phone's MWI light and makes an audible MWI sound.

The phone then re-registers to the secondary instance at some point. Even
though these machines share a common voicemail database, asterisk isn't
aware that a voicemail now exists in the database and thus tells the phone
there are no messages. Clearing the phones MWI indications. The phone then
registers to the primary again rinse/repeat.

Is there a way to force asterisk to somehow get an update when a voicemail
is dropped in the database? If I manually delete a voicemail from the
database via SQL commands asterisk does seem to pick it up shortly
thereafter. But it doesn't seem to learn that new voicemails are available.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!