[asterisk-users] Answer()ing a local Originate() takes 500ms!?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Fri Nov 11 10:12:23 CST 2022

On Friday 11 November 2022 at 17:08:42, Antony Stone wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Asterisk 16.2.1
>
> I have a dialplan where one context (named "inbound") performs:
>
> Originate(Local/${Target}@inOrig,exten,inbound,${EXTEN},208)
>
> The idea is that this command will spawn a "call" to the context "inOrig"
> on the same machine, and then return to the "inbound" context at priority
> 208.
>
> Priority 208 is simply a NoOp(Returned from inOrig)
>
> The "inOrig" context does:
>
> NoOp(Answering inbound call)
> Answer()
> NoOp(Returned to inbound context)
> Originate(Local/${EXTEN}@dialout,exten,BridgIt,${EXTEN},1)
>
> It's all doing what I want / expect, but I am seeing, completely
> consistently, a 500ms delay in the Answer() application.
>
> So, I get the following sequence of timings:
>
> 08:41:49.514918 inbound:201 Originate(.....)
> 08:41:49.516459 inOrig:1 NoOp(Answering inbound call)
> 08:41:49.517016 inOrig:2 Answer()
> 08:41:49.517489 inbound:208 NoOp(Returned from inOrig)
> 08:41:50.017454 inOrig:3 NoOp(Returned to inbound context)
>
> I have analysed dozens of calls and there is always a ~500ms delay between
> when the Answer() has clearly completed (because control returns to
> priority 208 of the "inbound" context), and when the inOrig context
> continues with the following NoOp.
>
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Application_Answer tells me that
> the Answer() application takes an optional parameter which causes Asterisk
> to wait that number of milliseconds before returning to the dialplan after
> answering the call.
>
> Does this undocumentedly default to 500?

PS: It doesn't look like it - changing the dialplan to do Answer(1) instead
makes no difference - there's still a 500ms delay (and it's astonishingly
consistent).

--
Numerous psychological studies over the years have demonstrated that the
majority of people genuinely believe they are not like the majority of people.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.