[asterisk-users] [External] [External] Geolocation/E911

Dan Cropp dan at amtelco.com
Mon May 23 16:14:35 CDT 2022

Thank you Joshua.

From: asterisk-users <asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com> On Behalf Of Joshua C. Colp
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2022 3:58 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Subject: Re: [External] [asterisk-users] [External] Geolocation/E911

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 5:52 PM Dan Cropp <dan at amtelco.com<mailto:dan at amtelco.com>> wrote:
We have a customer who wants to perform both directions.

For inbound calls, they have indicated their switch will provide Geolocation/E911 information using two different ways.  Sounds like it depends on the equipment before the SIP proxy.
It will either be in SIP headers (which we retrieve through PJSIP_HEADER in the dial plan).  Trivial for us to do this approach.
Second approacy is their SIP proxy will append information to the body with mime delimiters (indicating content type of pidf+xml).

They want us to retrieve this information (via Asterisk) and store it into their database.  When a 911 agent answers the call, they retrieve the data from the database and use it as needed for assisting the first responders.

If Asterisk can’t do this and isn’t planned to be able to support this, we’re looking to make Kamailio able to process the INVITE in front of Asterisk.  Idea being Kamailio could communicate the information our customer requires and we store it in the database.  When Agent answers the call, use the Call-ID provided by Asterisk to match it with the Kamailio INVITE data’s Call-ID.

We are still trying to gather details on how the customer wants the outbound calls to work.

Both directions will be supported according to the specification and standard. The information will be accessible from the dialplan using a dialplan function, but not the pidf+xml itself. If they're doing something outside of the standard, then it likely wouldn't work. The code is not written for 911 PSAPs/handlers specifically, it's written for receiving the information from an endpoint, and for sending it out.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Technical Lead