[asterisk-users] Asterisk "we couldn't allocate a port for RTP" errors

David Cunningham dcunningham at voisonics.com
Wed Jul 27 20:20:42 CDT 2022

Hello,

We have an Asterisk 13.38.2 server which today started giving "we couldn't
allocate a port for RTP" errors. The output of "netstat -anp" showed that
Asterisk was using all 10,000 ports allocated for RTP, even though it only
had a maximum of around 200 concurrent calls at any point in the day. Even
now when calls have fallen to less than 30, there are still almost 10,000
ports in use.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find out why so many ports are
in use?

I'm aware that Asterisk 13 is no longer supported by Sangoma so I haven't
opened a bug report.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
David Cunningham, Voisonics Limited