[asterisk-users] iax2 max retries exceeded

Administrator admin at tootai.net
Fri Nov 26 09:54:35 CST 2021

Hello,

on an asterisk16/Buster compiled by Debian team we suddenly face errors like

channel.c: Exceptionally long voice queue length queuing to IAX2/<peer>-7768

aso followed by

chan_iax2.c: Max retries exceeded to host <ip address> on
IAX2/<peer>-7768 (type = 6, subclass = 11, ts=60006, seqno=15)
chan_iax2.c: Max retries exceeded to host <ip address> on
IAX2/<peer>-7768(type = 6, subclass = 2, ts=63006, seqno=16)
aso.

which turn the asterisk server in timeout and doesn't answer anymore
even on SIP channels. Only solution is to restart asterisk. This happen
4~5 times a week, only on IAX  incoming channel is IAX, not on PJSIP.

I saw during my research that increasing the max_retries default value 4
in chan_iax2.c could help, problem is that customer don't want to
compile himself asterisk.

Is there a magical entry in iax.conf which could help to solve this problem?

We have few customers with same Asterisk configuration and IAX trunk to
our servers, this one is the only one who face this problem. Asterisk is
running in VMware.

Thanks for any hint
--
Daniel