[asterisk-users] AGI: Why is stream file and wait for digit result ASCII, but get data is "normal"?

Jonathan H lardconcepts at gmail.com
Mon May 24 08:39:33 CDT 2021

Having been scratching my head the whole morning to find a bug, I now have
an A4 poster on the wall (not joking!) saying:

"get data" = *number*
"wait for digit" and "stream file" = *ascii !!!*

As you can see here:

AGI Rx << STREAM FILE "hello-world" "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,*,0,#"
AGI Tx >> 200 result=49 endpos=11840
AGI Rx << GET DATA hello-world -1 1
AGI Tx >> 200 result=1
AGI Rx << WAIT FOR DIGIT -1
AGI Tx >> 200 result=49

OK, I should have RTFM a bit harder, but this is VERY confusing! Out of
interest, any idea why it was done like this, and why someone would ever
need the ascii result from a keypress, rather than the keypress as given by
"get data"?

Just curious!