[asterisk-users] STIR/SHAKEN

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at stratustalk.com
Sun Mar 7 15:03:54 CST 2021

On 3/7/21 2:26 PM, Doug Lytle wrote:
> On 3/7/21 1:43 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> So I wonder if your asterisk instance is connecting to the PSTN as a
>> top-level carrier, or, more likely, I am confused in some way.
>
> Greg,
>
> I think this is the case for quite alot of those here.
>
> For me though, I just manage the on premise PBX and my carrier handles
> the STIR/SHAKEN part.
>
> Doug

Hi,

There are issues for those of us that use multiple upstream carriers for
call termination, with LCR for example.  If you send your calls out the
same provider that supplies your inbound DID, your calls should get the
"A" rating and your callers should have no issues. At present if I send
calls out a provider that does NOT handle the DID in the caller ID
field, it gets a "B" rating.  I don't think this will pose a problem for
the forseeable future - I don't see carriers marking these as "spam",
they just won't get the ultra-special "secure" mark.

Also good to note the upcoming deadline does NOT mean call blocking,
just call tagging.  The blocking bit will be up to the end user, though
I could see phones shipping with default settings that may do so.

Basically we can't do LCR anymore.  Outbound calls are locked to the
provider that gave us the DID.  I'm not sure that's really a bad thing,
its less headache than for us to try to become a signing authority.

I think the whole thing is still very fluid.  Didn't even mention call
forwarding issues.

	*Jeff LaCoursiere*
STRATUSTALK, INC. / CTO

Phone: 	*+1 703.496.4990 x108*