[asterisk-users] channel creation issue in ARI

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Tue Jun 29 03:56:58 CDT 2021

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 4:57 AM Tejveer Sharma <sharmatejveer85 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Joshua,
>

> Thanks for your response.
>
> I am actually trying to do performance testing of Asterisk and trying to
> identify where the bottleneck is. And that is how we reached this
> simplistic scenario where the “issue” is reproduced. Here, the total
> channels never go beyond 200 but we are simulating a dialer application
> where 50% calls are not answered (routing failures, invalid number, network
> failure etc.) and hence the channel creation/destruction rate is high.
>

> As per your comment, it seems that high rate of channel
> creation/destruction might be the culprit. Our observation is that at this
> high rate (~30 channel create/delete per second), a few CreateChannel
> requests take more than 5 seconds while the others are served with a decent
> response time of ~15ms.
>

> Is there a known limit for how much channel creation rate Asterisk can
> support? It will help me in debugging my configuration. Do you think the
> queue might be building up in Asterisk as the Stassis application tries to
> send responses/events to the ARI application?
>

> I couldn’t find much material on pointers to debug this kind of
> configuration and any pointers to literature of any kind is much
> appreciated.

There is no "known limit", and such a limit would also depend on other
variables such as the system itself. There is also no material on how to
debug such a thing because generally you have to examine the complete code
path, profile it, and have an understanding of the complete thing to know
where issues may occur. I haven't done profiling of this so I don't know
the areas with any certainty of where there may be bottlenecks. I can only
guess.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Technical Lead