[asterisk-users] Howto configure additional files in a separate directory?

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at digium.com
Sun Jan 17 04:32:20 CST 2021

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 5:25 AM Hartmann, O. <ohartmann at walstatt.org> wrote:

<snip>

and not at /pool/logging/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/... as we would
> expect. But
> ommiting the "(!)" tag
>
> [directories]
> astspooldir     =>              /pool/logging/var/spool/asterisk
>
> results in the desired behaviour! This is weird. Where can I find some
> informations about
> the usage of the "(!)" in this context? As far as I know, the "(!)" marks
> a stanza as
> pristine/unique and is not to be expanded by other stanzas (or objects,
> I'm not so
> familiar with the variaty of semantics ...). I derive this from my
> knowledge taken from
> the syntax/semantics of extensions configuration.

The use of (!) means it is a template[1][2] for use by another context. It
can also be used as a way for a context to be put into a configuration
file, but not actually used until removed.

> Another problem, as the subjects may state, is to have additional sounds
> alongside the
> default ones.
>
> The default sounds shipped with the FreeBSD port of Asterisk are located at
> /usr/local/share/asterisk/sounds/en. We'd like to stay with any default,
> since the
> directory configuration pointing to the top level directory of sounds is
>
> [directories]
> astdatadir      =>              /usr/local/share/asterisk
>
> The installation image of asterisk is changing from time to time due to
> updates. The
> additional configurations should be kept outside the default paths, but
> sounds are
> located as a subdirectory adjacent with a lot of other default directories
> I'd like to
> keep as they are.
>
> For voicemail and other purposes we need other languages, German
> (de_DE/de), French (fr)
> and so on. We'd like to put those additions into different directories,
> maintaining them
> separately and leave the original folders untouched.
>
> Does Asterisk provide a mechanism to expand/searches directories?

I'm not aware of any current method to do that, everything gets searched in
the sounds directory from what I know of.

> I tried to study the example/sample configuration files but I coul not
> find a hint how to
> explicitely set the directory (absolute, relative) for sounds in a defined
> stanza (the
> "[...]" thing i.e. in etc/voicemail.conf and so on).

Applications/functionality don't allow individual configuration of paths
like this, they rely on the global configuration.

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Template+Syntax
[2] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Using+Templates

--
Joshua C. Colp