[asterisk-users] how to separate calls in the log

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at digium.com
Tue Jan 5 05:55:25 CST 2021

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 6:02 AM Fourhundred Thecat <400thecat at gmx.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> how can I separate individual calls in my asterisk log?
>
> I noticed that a call always starts with following line:
>
>      VERBOSE[C-0000000c]: Using SIP RTP CoS mark 5
>
> How reliable is this as a "separator"? It seems it appears twice during
> every call.
>
> And, what does this line mean anyway?
>
> Can I specify some custom line, that I can then use a s call separator?
>
> any other suggestions ?

Log messages are interlaced between calls, there is no separation. If you
want to look at lines specifically for a call then the "C-0000000c" is a
call identifier[1] that can be used to isolate lines specifically relating
to the call. As for what it means, CoS refers to class of service[2] for
networking. The log message means that for a SIP call using RTP it is using
a CoS mark of 5. Since media is set up very early for a call, log messages
relating to that kind of stuff tend to appear early.

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Call+Identifier+Logging
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_of_service

--
Joshua C. Colp