[asterisk-users] call an IP camera?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Thu Sep 24 09:57:10 CDT 2020

On Thursday 24 September 2020 at 16:31:33, hw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it possible to "call" an IP camera?

Only if it talks SIP (which some do, generally door entry cameras with a push
button input and often a lock release output).

> I'm thinking about something like bridging with a music stream, but instead
> of streaming audio, bridge with the video stream from the camera.

So, maybe you should treat it like a music stream such as music on hold?

> It would be very cool if I could just call the camera and see what's going
> on.  Ffmpeg shows the following streams available from the camera:
>
>     Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p(progressive), 1920x1080, 12
> fps, 12 tbr, 90k tbn, 24 tbc
>
>     Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p(progressive), 640x352, 12 fps,
> 12 tbr, 90k tbn, 24 tbc
>
> Perhaps it's not even necessary to recode the stream?

Very likely, but what you're looking at there is the media format; you also
need some sort of signalling protocol if you're going to call it from
Asterisk.

I would start with something like
https://www.voip-info.org/asterisk-config-musiconholdconf/
https://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+config+musiconhold.conf
(or any more up to date documentation if you can find it).

I've never tried that with video, but given how the media negotiation between
Asterisk and SIP devices is handled, I would expect it to work given
compatible codecs.

Antony.

--
I bought a book on memory techniques, but I've forgotten where I put it.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.