[asterisk-users] Asterisk and SIP Proxy on same host = media problem

Duncan duncan at e-simple.co.nz
Mon May 25 01:51:52 CDT 2020

Hi there

 I have a pbx (v16.10) on AWS (Ubuntu 18.04) with Freepbx (14) that I
am trying to set up the proxy reSIProcate on the same host as pbx. I
can make it all work when the proxy is on a different host but when the
proxy is on the same host asterisk sends the media address as 127.0.0.1
which the end user then happily sends media to 127.0.0.1 but it
doesn’t get anywhere. Asterisk then disconnects after 30 seconds for
lack of RTP activity

 |======AWS======|
 ( Asterisk <=> Proxy )<=> Local Firewall <=> End user

 Because Asterisk and Proxy are on the same host then the interface
addresses are either localhost, local AWS IP, or external AWS IP. But
when using either Chan_sip or PJSIP the media address asterisk presents
is always 127.0.0.1 and not the externip

 I am looking for any advice on whether this is possible, recommended
or completely foolish and if it is possible what I should look for to
make it go.

 Asterisk is on internal ports while the proxy is on 5060. The SIPs
peer in chan_sip and pjsip are using context from-internal. The call
sets up but then fails once media flows. This works well if the proxy
is on another host.

 I also realise reSIProcate is old but its relatively straight forward
compared to Kamailio (for me), although I eventually plan to figure out
Kamailio when I have more time. I don’t know whether I could affect
this differently with Kamailio.

 Thanks very much

 Cheers Duncan

p.s. apologies if this is sent twice