[asterisk-users] I can do alaw, ulaw and gsm; remote can do g729 and alaw; asterisk wants to translate g729 -> alaw. WHY?

John Hughes john at calva.com
Thu May 14 09:30:10 CDT 2020

On 14/05/2020 16:08, Michael L. Young wrote:

>     I am having a problem with one of my callers who is using either
>     g729 or alaw.  I can do alaw but not g729 so asterisk should
>     negotiate alaw right?  In fact from the sip debug it looks like it
>     does, but then I get the dreaded "channel.c:5630 set_format:
>     Unable to find a codec translation path: (g729) -> (alaw)" and the
>     call hangs up.  Why?
>
>     Last minute thought: Is it possible that the caller is sending
>     g729 in RTP even though the SIP negotiation clearly chooses alaw?
>     Maybe I need some RTP debugging.
>
>     Asterisk 13.14.1 on Debian, using chan_sip.
>
> Hi John,
>
> Maybe a newer version of Asterisk would help?  The latest release for
> 13 is version 13.33.  The version you are on was released 3 years ago.
Well, like I said I'm on Debian, using the packaged version.  If I want
to upgrade I'll have to compile it myself, or upgrade to Debian buster
to get 16.2.1

> Here is an issue which looks like what you describe and was fixed in 13.16
> https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-26143

That doesn't seem to be the same problem.  My problem is that the other
end is sending g729, which my asterlsk can't do at all, and tells the
remote it can't do.  I'm shocked that the remote is trying to send me
stuff using a codec that I didn't say I could handle.