[asterisk-users] PJSIP Lockup

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Mon Mar 2 12:57:58 CST 2020

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 2:52 PM Nick Olsen <nick at floridavirtualsolutions.com>
wrote:

> Hello All,
> I'm using Asterisk 16.8.0 on a Centos 7 box. Previously 16.5.0, But
> recently upgraded to attempt to resolve this issue. Using bundled PJSIP.
> The PBX is using mysql realtime for most functions. The Mysql server is on
> the same lan as the asterisk box.
>
> As more users have been moved to this box. It's become unstable. Randomly,
> I'll start seeing "WARNING[12667] taskprocessor.c: The
> 'pjsip/distributor-00000173' task processor queue reached 500 scheduled
> tasks."
>
> At that time, Running "pjsip show contacts" and "pjsip show endpoints"
> returns nothing. And the box stops responding to all SIP.
>
> The only way I've found thus far to resolve the issue is a "service
> asterisk restart".
>
> I can confirm at the time of the issue running "asterisk -x 'core show
> taskprocessors' | grep 'distributor'" does show many items pending across
> all queues. And the number just increases. Normally when all is fine.
> They're all at 0.
>
> Google-foo hasn't produced anything for me outside issues from 13.x that
> claim to be resolved. Since asterisk isn't fully crashing, I don't think I
> can get backtrace. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
> Any ideas? Tips
> ?

The wiki[1] has instructions for getting a backtrace for a deadlock from a
running process. It can be used to isolate why things are blocked.
Generally, though, when realtime is involved I've found that it usually
ends up being the database or that interaction in some way. Any hiccup or
issue there can result in blocking in Asterisk.

[1]
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Getting+a+Backtrace#GettingaBacktrace-GettingInformationForADeadlock

--
Joshua C. Colp