[asterisk-users] Voice "broken" during calls

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Mon Jun 15 14:28:24 CDT 2020

On Monday 15 June 2020 at 21:19:51, Luca Bertoncello wrote:

> But I'm not really sure, that Asterisk could be the problem, since, as I
> said, the problem happens even if I connect the phone direct to the
> server of Telekom...

I think that is significant, even if the routing is still going through the
Banana.

> Well, during the calls, the BananaPI has a load of max 1, and it have 2
> cores...

Multi-core CPUs are only a benefit if you can run separate applications (or at
least separate threads of an application) on the separate cores.

I'm not sure Asterisk can do this for a single call.

> The LAN interface is Gbps, and my DSL is only 50Mbps, so it is not
> possible to get it full of band...

Can you get the full 50Mbps through the Banana when you're doing a download of
something biggish?

> Last but not least: I tried calls via Skype and WhatsApp (with my phone
> in my WLAN). No problem and very good quality, so the BananaPI does not
> have any problem to manage the data transfer, isn't it?

The big difference there, though, is that Asterisk (running on the Banana) is
not handling the call, so you have the traffic being routed through the Banana,
but Asterisk is not being asked to do anything with it in the middle.

Antony.

--
"When you talk about Linux versus Windows, you're talking about which
operating system is the best value for money and fit for purpose. That's a very

 - Steve Vamos, MD of Microsoft Australia

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.