[asterisk-users] Voice "broken" during calls

Luca Bertoncello lucabert at lucabert.de
Sun Jun 14 10:33:03 CDT 2020

Am 14.06.2020 um 17:05 schrieb Antony Stone:

Hi Antony,

> You mean that the Thomson phone is registering to Deutsche Telekom?
>
> I thought it was registering to your Asterisk server.

Sorry, I didn't read correctly your test 2b...
Normally my Thomson phone is registering to my Asterisk server.

I tried to register the Thomson phone directly to Telekom's server, to
check if the problem could be in my Asterisk...

> Maybe it would be a good idea to tell *exactly* what your network setup is,
> because I'd certainly assumed something that's clearly not true; maybe others
> here have as well.

Well, I'll try:

- DSL-Modem, connected to a BananaPI with Debian 9
- On the BananaPI, PPPoE to connect to the Internet, iptables and some
scripts to manage the Gateway and Firewall
- Many VLANs, some of them can use the Internet via NAT
- The phones are in an own VLAN without any routing to the Internet
(exception for my phone was temporarily made to allow the tests)
- In the phone's VLAN there is the Asterisk server, running on the same
BananaPI the act as Gateway/Firewall
- Mobile phone connected via WLAN in the same VLAN used from the PCs,
and with routing to the Internet via NAT

> Basically, what SIP phones (hardware or software) are you using, what are they
> registering to, and what role is Asterisk playing in all of this?  How do
> calls to/from the public phone network get routed from/to your telephones?

We have two phones Thomson ST2022, registering to the Asterisk server.
The Asterisk server registers to Deutsche Telekom and MessageNet.
All calls are normally routed by Asterisk to Deutsche Telekom. Some
*incoming* calls to an italian number arrives via MessageNet and will be
directed to my Thomson phone.

What I tried connecting the phone directly to the Internet and the
servers of Deutsche Telekom was just a test, not the normal situation.

Do I have explained my current situation?
Of course I can send extract of configurations, if needed...

What I'll do tomorrow with a test phone is:

1) connecting it to my Asterisk and try to make a call
2) connecting it directly to the servers of Deutsche Telekom (using my
network) and try to make a call

Thanks a lot for your help
Luca Bertoncello
(lucabert at lucabert.de)