[asterisk-users] Voice "broken" during calls

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Sat Jun 13 15:56:49 CDT 2020

On Saturday 13 June 2020 at 22:30:28, Luca Bertoncello wrote:

> 1) I have an Android phone, using the integrated Android VoIP-subsystem,
> connected to my Asterisk at home, over LTE or other network *outside my
> home network*.

> I called my mother using this method... The quality was excellent

> 2) I have a Thomson ST2022 connected to my Asterisk over Ethernet
> (cabled network). If I call for example my mother or my parents in law,
> the conversation is "broken", eg: both partner can hear little
> "interruption", about 1/10 seconds in the conversation...

I would like to see a much simpler one-for-one comparison: only change one
thing at a time, and see what the difference is.

So: I suggest you try *two* independent *pairs* of tests:

1a. Using your Android phone, connect using your home wireless network (I
assume you have a wireless network, if not then skip to test 2) to your home
Asterisk server, make a phone call to some external number, check the call
quality.

1b. Using your Thomson phone, connected using your home cabled network to your
home Asterisk server, make a phone call to the same external number and check
the call quality.

2a. Using your Android phone, connect from outside your home wireless network
over LTE to your home Asterisk server and make a phone call to the same number
again (you'll need someone with a bit of patience and understanding on the
other end of this number ...)  Check the call quality.

2b. Take your Thomson telephone to some other location with Internet access,
let it register to your home Asterisk server, and them make a call to the same
number yet again.  I'm sure you can get the Thomson to connect to Asterisk via
some external network, since you say you can do this from your Android phone.
Again, check the call quality.

Then, does the call quality stay the same for both phones (good for Android,
bad for Thomson), or does it stay the same for both connections (good for
Android and Thomson from external, bad for Android and Thomson from internal)?

PS; Just for fun, what happens if you let your Android phone connect via LTE
to your home Asterisk server and you dial your (home, cabled) Thomson phone
from it?  What's the call quality like then?

In regard to:

On Saturday 13 June 2020 at 18:25:32, Luca Bertoncello wrote:

> 2) where can I change these settings?

sip.conf

Look for lines such as

	disallow=all
	allow=ulaw
	allow=alaw
	allow=h263

They may be in the [general] section, or they may be in the client (Android /
Thomson) specific sections.

Regards,

Antony.

--
The lottery is a tax for people who can't do maths.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.