[asterisk-users] Stir Shaken is upon us

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Sun Jul 12 16:43:25 CDT 2020

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020, Saint Michael wrote:

> WORLDWIDE EMERGENCY

Again?

> The code below needs to be executed before any SIP or PJSIP call
> destined to the US network, or soon no call will terminate. This is
> called Stir-Shaken, a new law from the FCC. If this is not working the
> whole Asterisk industry will crash, vanish, be gone.

Seen any little chickens lately?

According to 'https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication':

"In March 2020, the Commission adopted new rules requiring all originating
and terminating voice service providers to implement caller ID
authentication using STIR/SHAKEN technological standards in the Internet
Protocol (IP) portions of their networks by June 30, 2021."

So this is a provider issue, not an end user issue and 'June 30, 2021'
doesn't sound like 'soon.' If this is legit, why haven't my providers said
squat?

> Server = 208.73.232.47

So why do you want everybody to send you their call metadata? What's your
endgame? Generate leads to call to pitch your service? Poach clients?

Sorry if I sound cynical. It's 2020 and I'm fresh out of "F's."

--
Thanks in advance,