[asterisk-users] pjsip startup errors when using "with-ssl" configure option

Kevin Harwell kharwell at digium.com
Tue Feb 25 16:31:54 CST 2020

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 4:02 PM Patrick Wakano <pwakano at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kevin!
> Thanks very much for your reply! Much appreciated!

You're welcome!

> So I just have a remaining question from this, if the with-ssl is not
> mandatory to have the encryption support, what is it actually used for?

In Asterisk is allows you to set a path to the openssl files. Typically
used if your install of openssl is in a non-default alternative location.
For example:

    --with-ssl=/path/to/ssl_files

I'm not really sure how Asterisk accepts the parameter without a file path
specified. My guess is it either uses the default path, or potentially sets
some flag meaning ssl is required.

> Maybe it is some old flag which is not needed anymore and so can be
> ignored for now and possibly removed from the configure/makefile stuff for
> future releases?

See above. The flag is still needed in Asterisk. However, the setting
appears to propagate in some way into the bundled pjproject configuration.
This is in some way affecting the build of pjproject, then subsequently
causing res_pjsip in Asterisk to not load at runtime. Further investigation
is required as to why though.

--
Kevin Harwell
Software Developer