[asterisk-users] serverless fastagi/ARI via AWS lambda and a question about dialplan curl for variables

Jonathan H lardconcepts at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 04:51:26 CST 2020

I want a very basic Asterisk install on a pi to play two mp3 files, which
change location, one after another.
I have a tiny node script which reads an rss feed and returns the first 2
episodes.

In this case, running a fast-agi server seems like overkill and as it's
simply 2 or 3 variables, I can make a simple dialplan curl request to a
simple text/plain lamdba http endpoint, and then CUT the variables.
(eg: https://example.com/something.mp3|https://example.com/tuesday.mp3)

But it made me wonder: has anyone ever attempted running fastagi on
something serverless like AWS Lambda? I'm not really sure what the agi tcp
spec is - it doesn't seem to be websockets.

I think ARI might be a different proposition as one can configure an API
websocket gateway on Lambda - go into stasis, websocket to the lambda
running node-ari, job done.
And has anyone attempted that too, or is that also a bit hopeful?

PS: Side-question: is it possible to put a curl result directly into a
variable rather than doing these two back to back (curl > file > file >
variable)
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+18+Function_CURL
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+18+Function_FILE

Thanks again, hope you all had a good Christmas, and stay safe.

PPS - yes, I know none of the above is production-safe and it sounds a bit
insane; this is a little short term micro-project for my own interest, but
the thought of serverless AGI/ARI for bigger things intrigued me....