[asterisk-users] Question on calculating PJSIP md5 authentication with NEC

Dan Cropp dan at amtelco.com
Fri Jul 12 15:08:49 CDT 2019

Just tracked down the code for the chan_sip MD5 REGISTER and have been able to verify that chan_sip is calculating the HA1 same as I am calculating the md5_cred for PJSIP
3016:abc at xyz.com:3016

Both chan_sip and PJSIP REGISTER traces show the uri as sip:10.100.102.82
So the HA2 for both as MD5(method:uri)  (which in this case is REGISTER:sip:10.100.102.82).

chan_sip response formula with qop detected (sent by NEC) is
ha1:nonce:noncecount:cnonce:auth:h2
Using this formula I am able to match it with my Asterisk chan_sip trace.
NEC accepts this REGISTER

Can anyone point me to the area where Asterisk PJSIP would be doing the response for the REGISTER 401 reply?
NEC does not like the way PJSIP calculates the response value for the REGISTER reply.
I tried to calculate the response exactly like chan_sip does (using the values from the trace and the HA1/HA2) but it's not matching what the sip trace shows Asterisk sending for the response.

Does Asterisk PJSIP support handle this or is it all done by PJSIP?

Dan