[asterisk-users] Enhanced Messaging and softphones

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at digium.com
Fri Jan 18 09:30:54 CST 2019

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019, at 11:22 AM, Olivier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just read in [1] about SIP MESSAGE addition to both chan_pjsip and
> ConfBridge.
> It seems very interesting addition as it brings the capability to mix
> voice, video and text in conferencing.
>
> On an other hand, there are some softphones (Zoiper, Bria, ...) that
> tout voice, video and chat capability.
> Though Enhanced Messaging solution described in [1] seems more
> attractive to me in the long run, I wonder if it could easier to
> quickly set a demo using softphone instead of a web application.
>
> In this case, was I'm failing to understand is is there anything
> missing in Confbridge for chat conferencing with softphones.
> May I add I read [2] which mentions sending of "custom JSON message".
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Do such softphones use compatible SIP MESSAGE to implement chat feature ?
> If negative, what is the missing block that should be present along Asterisk ?
>
> 2. Is there a different class of clients (I'm think of Riot clients) as
> opposed to softphones that support Confbridge voice, video and test
> features ?

I'm not aware of any softphone that supports the functionality. From a video perspective it has to support multiple video streams and displaying them (Asterisk doesn't do video transcoding or mixing). From a messaging perspective it has to support the JSON payload that Asterisk is using in ConfBridge. This conveys additional information that a straight up chat message wouldn't.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Digium - A Sangoma Company | Senior Software Developer