[asterisk-users] Enhanced Messaging and softphones

Olivier oza.4h07 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 09:21:11 CST 2019

Hello,

I've just read in [1] about SIP MESSAGE addition to both chan_pjsip and
ConfBridge.
It seems very interesting addition as it brings the capability to mix
voice, video and text in conferencing.

On an other hand, there are some softphones (Zoiper, Bria, ...) that tout
voice, video and chat capability.
Though Enhanced Messaging solution described in [1] seems more attractive
to me in the long run, I wonder if it could easier to quickly set a demo
using softphone instead of a web application.

In this case, was I'm failing to understand is is there anything missing in
Confbridge for chat conferencing with softphones.
May I add I read [2] which mentions sending of "custom JSON message".

My questions are:

1. Do such softphones use compatible SIP MESSAGE to implement chat feature ?
If negative, what is the missing block that should be present along
Asterisk ?

2. Is there a different class of clients (I'm think of Riot clients) as
opposed to softphones that support Confbridge voice, video and test
features ?

Best regards

[1]
https://blogs.asterisk.org/2018/08/29/enrich-your-conference-app-with-asterisk-enhanced-messaging-part-1/