[asterisk-users] (NAT) direct media to host on local net when registering from external address

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Jan 15 10:17:40 CST 2019

On Tue, 2019-01-15 at 09:00 -0700, John Kiniston wrote:
>  How is your endpoint currently configured in asterisk?

It's configured as a chan_sip peer.

> Have you tried
> rtp_symmetric to see if the endpoint sends audio to asterisk if
> asterisk
> can send audio back to the client?

That would require using chan_pjsip wouldn't it?  Not that I am opposed
to trying that.  I need to use chan_pjsip at some point to be able to
authenticate to my SIP provider for SIP SIMPLE anyway.

But will rtp_symmetric really solve the problem?  Isn't the problem the
setting up of the RTP session, so there is no address and port that it
receives from yet?

> Alternatively if your SIP Proxy is also a Media proxy you could set
> the
> media_address on the endpoint to be your proxy and let your proxy
> handle
> proxying the media to your endpoint.

The idea of sending my media out of the LAN (where I have almost zero
latency) and introducing the latency of a round trip to the proxy and
back doesn't seem like a great solution.

Cheers,
b.