[asterisk-users] Handling a non-responsive peer after it answers

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Fri Dec 27 12:33:57 CST 2019

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 12:02 PM David P <davidswalkabout at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for a way of detecting in my dialplan when a peer becomes
> non-responsive after answering. It seems that Asterisk knows when the peer
> becomes non-responsive because it logs "Remote UNIX connection
> disconnected" around the same time, and it seems that
> if there is no following "Remote UNIX connection" within a short time,
> then the peer can be considered non-responsive. Is there a way to configure
> a handler for this state?
>
> We use v14.7.6 and we dial the peer this way:
>
>  same =>
> n,Set(CHANNEL(hangup_handler_push)=${CONTEXT},handleHangupByCaller,1(args))
>  same =>
> n,Dial(${AddressToReachPeer},2,b(${CONTEXT}^afterDialingPeerLogIpOfCb^1(${UUID}^${StartEpoch})))
>  same => n,Goto(handle${DIALSTATUS},1)

The referenced message is not related to the call at all. It occurs when an
"asterisk -r" console disconnects. As for hanging up a call when the remote
goes away that depends on the channel driver. For SIP both chan_sip and
chan_pjsip provide session timers which use SIP messages to determine if
the call is no longer valid, or RTP timeout which hangs up the call if
media is not flowing for a period of time. These are configured in the
respective channel driver configuration file.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Technical Lead