[asterisk-users] Polycom and SIP message

C.Maj chris at PenguinPBX.com
Thu Dec 19 16:12:23 CST 2019

On 2019-12-19 06:10, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Thursday 19 December 2019 at 14:04:36, Jerry Geis wrote:
>
>> I presume it would just be sending a SIP message - no need to get anything
>> back. Just want to pop a message on the phone.

I think there are some Polycoms that support RFC 3428 SIP MESSAGE for
instant messaging eg. Kirks.

> Yes, but *what* message do you need to send?

Also how long should it display for, do you want a sound to play, should
it interrupt users currently on a call, present an interface to
acknowledge the message, etc.

> How does a Polycom do this?

Disregarding RFC 3428 method, for SPIP, VVX, and probably a few other
Polycom models, you can push XML to the phones via HTTP using something
like CURL...

Here's some Asterisk dial plan example (but put this all on one line):

exten => s,n,TrySystem(
curl
--max-time 1
-d
"<PolycomIPPhone><URL priority='critical'>hi.php</URL></PolycomIPPhone>"
-u "push_username:push_password"
--digest
-H "Content-Type: application/x-com-polycom-spipx"
http://192.168.1.100/push
);

You'll need to update the IP to match your phone, run a webserver to
host hi.php, and set a few things up in your Polycom configs, such as
push_username and push_password, but hopefully that helps pop you in the
right direction.

Regards,

--
🤠 C. Maj, Technology Captain @ Penguin PBX Solutions
📞 USA Toll Free 1-833-PNGNPBX (1-833-764-6729)