[asterisk-users] Delay on speak with Asterisk

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Tue Dec 3 12:57:59 CST 2019

On Tuesday 03 December 2019 at 19:28:19, Luca Bertoncello wrote:

> Hi list!
>
> I'm using Asterisk 13.14.1 from Debian 9 repositories.
> The provider is Deutsche Telekom und Messagenet (just for receive).
>
> I can call and receive calls, but I have a little problem: there is a
> "delay" of about 1-1,5 seconds between the time the voice is sent and
> the time when the voice is received, so that it happens very often that
> the peer does not get my voice and try to repeat the question, then it
> get my voice, and breaks the question, and so on...
>
> This delay happens on every peer, Deutsche Telekom and Messagenet, so I
> think the problem is NOT by the Provider, but in my configuration...
>
> Can someone suggest me where can I search the problem?

I would firstly look at whether your Asterisk box is doing transcoding -
converting from oe codec (supported by your phones) and another codec
(supported by the provider) because no codec can be found in common between
the two.

Secondly I would put a full packet sniffer (by which I mean collect all the RTP
data as well as SIP) on each of your interfaces (internal and external) to see
whether the delay really is happening inside your Asterisk server - if you see
RTP data on your internal interface, then appearing 1-1.5 seconds later on the
external interface, and vice versa, then you know the delay is inside your
system.

No point in making such an assumption only to find out it's someone else doing
the transcoding and introducing the delay there :)

Hope that helps,

Antony.

--
Tinned food was developed for the British Navy in 1813.

The tin opener was not invented until 1858.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.